Chilli Con Carne
1tbsp (15ml) rapeseed oil
1 medium/large onion, skinned and finely chopped
1lb (450g) lean minced beef
15oz (425g) can tomatoes
1tbsp tomato purée
2 garlic cloves, skinned and crushed
2 tsp chilli powder or to taste
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground marjoram or 1tsp dried marjoram
15oz (425g) can kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
- Heat the oil in a pan and lightly fry the onion until soft and golden, but not brown
- Push to one side and add the beef, breaking it up so that it is level in the pan
- Brown quickly then stir in the onion and allow the meat to become quite well cooked
- Drain the tomatoes (keep the juice separately) and add to the meat
- Lower the heat and cook slowly, gradually adding the juice of the tomatoes to keep it moist
- When it bubbles, add the tomato purée, garlic, chilli powder, cumin, marjoram and seasoning
- Stir well, bringing to the boil, then lower the heat and simmer for about 15 minutes
- Add the beans to the pan, stirring well
Tips and serving suggestions
This dish will freeze well for up to 2 months so it would be worth your while to make a very large batch in one go and then freeze it in reasonable portion sizes which you can then take out of the freezer and quickly cook up. However you only add the beans when defrosted.
The slower you cook this meal, the better the taste will be – tomato and tomato purée has more flavour when cooked slower.
Serve with macaroni or boiled rice (2oz/50g dry weight per person) and tomato and onion salad or green salad.